WWDC is right around the corner and the rumor mill is starting to churn. What will be the killer feature this year? And what will be the feature not discussed and withheld for the next iPhone. In iOS 4 it was FaceTime, and in iOS 5 it was Siri. Based on current rumors and needs of iOS have a few predictions. Here they are.
1. PHOTOSTREAM ENHANCEMENTS: There is pretty good evidence that Apple is working on social elements and photo sharing within iOS. I believe the stock Photos app will include Instagram like photo sharing through iCloud.
2. SIRI API: Developers will finally be able to tap into Siri and include their app information in the ”what can I do” of Siri.
3. NOTIFICATION CENTER API: I believe that Developers will be able to include Notification widgets with their apps. I don’t think you will find a “widget store” within the app store, but apps instead will be able to include them as part of their app. They’ll be able to be enabled and ordered in the Notification Center control panel.
4. LIVE ICONS: Apps will be able to push updates in the form of icon changes. Instead of a badge number the icon itself will be able to be replaced. Weather apps will benefit from this most.
5. MAPS & STOCK APP UPDATES: Pretty obvious that Apple is redoing the maps app with an in-house map system. I believe it will include turn by turn directions with the help of Siri’s voice. I would also expect updates to other stock apps like Weather, Stocks, Calendar, and Mail.
6. APP STORE OVERHAUL: The app store is due for a make over and with the Chomp acquisition earlier this year it seems ripe for change.